Thursday, February 13, 2014

Whats the Difference Between Probability and Odds?

So far this semester this was one of the hardest things for me to understand was the difference between probability and odds. After looking at my test that was over this I clearly can see I was not entirely grasping this concept. So to help you all out I am going to try to explain it so you can have a better understanding than I did. To just make sure we are on the same page, I didn't understand it because I was taught wrong, it is because it was a difficult concept for me. So I want to share what I know to help you out. Here are a couple of sites that might be of some use to use while learning the differences between probability and odds.
                          - Changing Probability to Odds 
                          - Differences Between Odds and Probability
                          - Finding the Odds
                          - Probability of Events

Lets start by simple definition of each

Probability: Is the amount of successes divided by the total.

Odds in Favor: Is the amount of successes divided by the amount of failures.

Odds Against: Is the amount of failures divided by the amount of successes.

An example of probability would be if I was to say I have a 60% chance of getting a banana out of a basket that had only 6 bananas and 4 apples.  I would have a 6/10 = 3/5 chance

Odds in Favor: Would be 3:2 to get that I need to make sure that when the two numbers add up that they equal the total. So I subtract the successes from the total to give me the failures.

5-3=2 Since 3 is the successes and 2 is the failures and Odds in Favor is the amount of successes over amount of failures we get this...

3:2

Odds Against: Would be 2:3, and since we know that Odds Against is amount of failures over amount of successes it write it like this...

2:3

1 comment:

  1. I thought i was the only one that didn't understand this concept! Thanks Casey for making me feel better about this!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete